CYCLIST AND MOTOR RIDERS LOVE THESE ROADS.
TYPICAL TRATTORIE WHERE FOODS AND WINE HAVE GENUINE TASTE OF THIS
IT IS ENOUGH TO LOOK AROUND YOU TO DISCOVER A DIFFERENT KIND OF
Distances from the Bed and Breakfast: Florence (Firenze) 30 km, Sienna
(Siena) 30 km, San Gimignano 18 km, Pisa 105 km. Next to: San Donato in
Poggio, Panzano, Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Greve in
BED AND BREAKFAST SURROUNDINGS
San Donato in Poggio: romanesque church, museum of farm culture
Tavarnelle Val di Pesa: Museum of Holy arts - Pieve di S. Pietro in
Barberino Val d'Elsa: loc. Sant'Appiano - Antiquarium Sant'Appiano
Panzano in Chianti: Oratory of Sant' Eufrosino, Pieve di San Leolino
Greve in Chianti: Museum of Holy arts of San Francesco
San Casciano Val di Pesa: Museum of Holy arts
Montelupo Fiorentino: Museum of archaeology and ceramics(pottery)
Poggibonsi: archaeologcal park of Poggio Imperiale
Colle Val d'Elsa: crystal museum
Monteriggioni: Hermitage of San Leonardo al Lago
San Gimignano: Town hall,art gallery,museum of Holy arts
Volterra: Guarnucci Etruscan museum-storic museum of Alabaster-art gallery civic museum
Certaldo: Boccaccio's home-civic museum of Palazzo Pretorio
Vinci: Native home of Leonardo da Vinci-museum of Leonardo
Signa: Straw museum
TYPICAL PRODUCTS AND LOCAL EVENTS
Earthenware of Impruneta
Pottery of Montelupo F.no
Wildpig salumi (Greve in Chianti)
Vintage wine(Chianti Classico, Vinsanto)
Hand made leather clothes and shoes(Panzano)
Production of Crystal object(Colle Val d'elsa)
Italian fashion outlets
Wine feast and harvest grapes fairs
Summer village concerts
Local antique trade
Historical commemorations (Monteriggioni, Certaldo...)
SAN DONATO IN POGGIO - at 6 km.
Little village with very ancient origin according documents dated 989.
It takes its name from the tuscan romanesque parish church located
outside the village.
San Donato is placed in a central position on the ancient roman road
"via Cassia", had a relevant role in the connection between Florence
In early XIII cent. San Donato in Poggio was the leader village of the
"Chianti League". The "palazzo Pretorio" was located in the present
Palazzo Malaspina, in the main square, where there is also an hexagonal
well over a large cistern, used in the past time as water storage for
the whole community.
Presently the village is very well restored and authentic with its
quaint narrow alleys, all inside the ancient town stone walls. Outside
the majestic romanesque parish church, built in "alberese" stone, with
art treasures as a wooden crucifix, a baptisimal font by Giovanni della
Robbia dated 1513.
CASTELLINA IN CHIANTI - at 8km.
Village with etruscan origin (nearby the Salingolpe inhabited nucleus,
dated VII and VI cent. b.C.). Castellina reached an important role in
the high medioeval age, placed on the limit between Florence and Siena,
it was under the Florentine jurisdiction until XII cent. and for the
later 3 centuries was under Siena influence.
In the XII cent. was part of the Chianti League with Radda and Gaiole.
During the II world War the Florentine town gates and and the church
of SS: Salvatore were destroyed. To visit: the ancient, restored "Via
delle Volte", along the east town walls, with arcaic origin; the
"Rocca" in the main square, dated XV cent. with its imposing
rectangular shaped tower, inside the Council hall, the courtyard and a
well, some local archeological finds are shown.
Immediately outside the village, driving direction Greve on the SS. n°
222, it is possible to visit the etruscan tomb of "Monte Calvario".
Driving opposite direction, to Siena, after the little village of
Fonterutoli, direction Vagliagli, at locality "il Poggino" there is the
interesting "Necropoli di Fonterutoli" with 5 etruscan tombs dated VI
cent. b. C.
RADDA IN CHIANTI - at 15 km.
Very characteristic "borgo" with medioeval origin, placed on the
hilltop at an altitude of 550 m. It has surrounding walls with watching
towers, now only some rest of them.
In 1415 became the leader of Chianti League.
Radda mantains its original bulding structure with the little squares,
the narrow alleys leading to the ancient "rocca". To visit: the
"Palazzo Pretorio" built in the second part of the XV cent. with the
beautiful external loggia, the facade is decorated with many coats of
arms. The San Niccolò Church, restored in 1926, romanesque origin, has
inside a baptisimal font, a wood crucifix and paintings of XVI cent.